The Project Background
Decentralization of governance is one of the most ambitious reforms undertaken by Uganda since its independence in 1962. The Uganda 1997 Local Government Act gave extensive powers to districts to generate local revenue through taxes and autonomy to govern its distribution. The objective of decentralization was to promote transparency, accountability, integrity, representation in the management of public affairs that include planning and participation. However, this bottom-up system of planning and participation of local communities in Local Government services delivery is still a challenge in terms of demand and supply that may affect the achievement of Uganda’s Vision 2040.
To guarantee proper implementation of government programs and accountability, BIRUDO, under the auspices of Governance, Accountability, Participation and Performance (GAPP) Project with funding from USAID and UKaid GAPP Program, is empowering Vulnerable Groups, Community Based Organizations and Local Communities with innovations for meaningful engagement with local governments to ensure proper implementation of government programs and accountability in Buliisa District.
Project Overall Objective:
The Project’s objective is to empower vulnerable groups, Community Based Organizations and local communities with innovations for meaningful engagement with local governments to ensure proper implementation of government programs and accountability in Buliisa District.
The Project Result Areas:
RA 1: Community Outreach and Awareness
Increased knowledge and understanding on the existing opportunities for engagement on relevant local government programs.
RA 2: Capacity Building:
Selected youths, women, persons with disabilities and Community Based Organizations empowered with skills and innovations for good governance, advocacy, monitoring and performance tracking, and their rights promoted to benefit and participate in local government services delivery.
RA 3: Promote Advocacy Initiatives for Better Service Delivery:
The local government leadership supported in effective planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of service delivery.
- Community meetings to sensitize local communities and information dissemination.
- Interactive radio talk shows.
- Production of information, education and communication materials.
- Conduct capacity building trainings for Women, Youth, PWDs and CBOs.
- Facilitate developing Sub-County Development Plans.
- Round table discussion meetings with district leadership.
- Develop community based monitoring tool.
- Capacity trainings for Parish Community-Based Mmonitors.
The Project Primary Target Groups:
- Youths, women, persons with disabilities, Community Based Organizations and local communities.
- Councilors representing these vulnerable groups, cultural leaders and people living with HIV/AIDS.
The Project Areas:
Buliisa District in Sub-Counties of Buliisa, Ngwedo, Kigwera and Buliisa Town Council.